Paul Conlon - Greatest Tackle off All Time!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morton Bay Fig
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Paul Conlon - Greatest Tackle off All Time! Reply with quote

If any of you have a copy of the Bears 1989 Reserve Grade Grand Final on tape. It has one of the greatest ever tackles you will ever see. It's in the first half with Parra attacking the Bears line at the northern end. Conlon just creams the attacking player about 5 metres from the line head-on. I can go back and look at the tape if any one whats to know the exact minute. Does anyone else recall this tackle?

This could be the greatest Bears tackles of all time.
Although not 1st grade.

It's up there with the famous Wally Lewis tackle on Darryl Williams from the Aust/Kiwi test.
Fintan O'Laighin
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-hand I can't remember the tackle, but I do remember the game. It was the first time that any North Sydney side in any grade had even made a Grand Final in my lifetime, let alone won one. The previous time that Norths made a Grand Final was in 1959 when the Bears won both the Reserve and Third Grade Grand Finals. I have the tape of the 1989 GF somewhere that a friend recorded for me from the TV, I'll have to dust it off. Hopefully it'll still play. The Reserve Grade GF win was the start of a great era for the Bears in the 1990s.
Morton Bay Fig
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Bears Teamsters, I now have an .avi file of this great tackle.
Send me a Private message if you want it emailed to you.

The tackle occurs in about the first 10-15 minutes. Parramatta make a break and the try is on!

Then from nowhere Paul Conlon creams No.14 for Parramatta (Fitzhenry?) about 3metres out fom the goal line. It occurs on the TV broadcast just after Channel 10 have shown the Canberra Raiders 1st Grade team arriving at the Syd Football Stadium.

I would love to post this file but cannot work out how?
Morton Bay Fig
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've tried to upload this tackle to YOU TUBE Website .
Take a look at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KQlGT6os
It's not the greatest copy of the video but you will get the drift
unbearable
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was Daniel Fitzhenry on the receiving end.
In the reserve grade grand final against Balmain, Conlon saved a try (and bravely injured himself in the process) with a massive low headon tackle driving the Tigers heavyweight winger (whose name escapes me) into touch 1m from the cornerpost.

Some other memorable Conlon scalps:
- At NSO Illawarra winger Malcolm Kelly made a 50m break; whilst looking for support was belted with a huge shoulder charge and stretchered off.
- NSO Manly second rower Ron Gibbs hit a gap 10m out from the fig tree. Conlon burst out of the ingoal area and hit Gibbs with a great shoulder charge. The ball flew 10m straight up.
- Lang Park; three Brisbane opponents in the same game all replaced after Conlon bit hits: Greg Conescu, Wally Lewis and Grant Rix.
- NSO Mario (Souths) and Steve Morris (StG) both in the clear down the touchline heading for the scoreboard corner. Both found themselves airborne then 5m over the sideline.

Paul Conlon, a great Bears player!
malabi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and an ex-Marist Brothers North Sydney boy Smile Two years below me at school. Top bloke too.

I think he is on the judiciary at the moment???

Cheers
TBz
Bear Cub

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl..
Bearhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good old 1989 Bears Grand Final. What a day. Remember stumbling around Cammeray blind as a bat by 1st grade GF kickoff after watching the match at the Leaguesy.

I have a tape of the match somewhere, will have to try and dig it out. What a team - off top of my head was Gary Maguire capt? Boustead on the wing, Daisy scored a great try, Billy Moore was in there. Anyone got the full team list? Wallabies defensive coach Muggleton was in the Parra side. Gee the Bears had a strong Reserve Grade outfit from 1989 well into the 90's and helped make the 1st grade exceptionally strong. 1990 to 1994 were vintage Bear years. It seemed almost every second week the beers were celebrationary across the road at Percys.

Paul Conlon - a monster big hitter. Wasn't he a copper?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: 1908 - 1999 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: