Other expansion bids
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Other expansion bids Reply with quote

Post anything relevant to other teams expansion bids in this thread.

Other interested teams include:
Wellington Orcas (see below)
WA Reds - have a plan in place - starting with entering NSW based competions
Papua New Guinea - was mentioned last year that they had government backing.

Various Qld bids including:
Central Qld (incl. Gary Larson) (see below)
Sunshine Coast (incl. Billy Moore)
Ipswich- Logan

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2328401/Hopes-raised-for-NRL-inclusion

Quote:
Hopes raised for NRL inclusion
By SAM WORTHINGTON - The Dominion Post Last updated 05:00 11/04/2009 Share Print Text Size Relevant offers
Wellington is once again positioning itself to be home to a professional rugby league team and bid head Jason Hemson is adamant the city has a genuine shot of breaking into the NRL.

The Gold Coast Titans beat bids from the Wellington-based Southern Orcas and the Central Coast to become the NRL's 16th team in 2007.

Talk of playing in the British Super League failed to gain traction while Wellington also unsuccessfully bid to become New Zealand's initial entrant in the competition in 1995.

While the NRL has not yet publicly asked for bids or expressed a desire to expand, reports have suggested expansion to 18 teams is on the cards for 2013, the year a new television deal kicks in.

NRL chief executive David Gallop has said the most likely 17th team would be based in Gosford on the Central Coast and has hinted the 18th could be based in south-east Queensland.

An 18-team competition is preferred to avoid weekly byes.

While Wellington appears to be starting its run from behind, Hemson, Wellington Rugby League's ambitious general manager, said he'd had encouraging discussions with the NRL, Wellington City Council and Westpac Stadium over the last year.

Hemson said rather than trying to fight with the AFL in Perth or Adelaide, the NRL wanted to shore up its strongholds of Australia's east coast and New Zealand.

"We believe that for the long-term future of rugby league here there needs to be at least one other team out of New Zealand and we're working away on it at the moment.

"We've been keeping it low key because we want to get all our things lined up before we go public with it.

"There's been good support from Wellington City Council to work with us and the [Westpac] Stadium are obviously keen for it to happen as well."

With the world in the midst of an economic recession, Hemson admitted there would be plenty of sceptics questioning the NRL's ability to successfully expand.

He also accepted Wellington's existing professional sports teams, the Hurricanes, Lions and Phoenix, were struggling to attract big crowds.

"With the current economic climate, yeah sure there'll be certain doubts as to whether we could get something up and going but I really believe that we've got the base as far as the footballing talent goes in this country, to have a second team." Hemson said his discussions with NRL operations manager Graham Annesley had been positive.

"Graham basically has said while there's been no call for bids to come in for expansion, they'll always look at a good business proposal. And obviously with the success of the Warriors they see New Zealand as being a key part of the future."

Hemson said he was driving a bid team but other members preferred to stay anonymous at this stage.

"Other people have had the dream and I guess I'm just wanting to see it fulfilled really.

"here's been two cracks at it previously and for whatever reason those two didn't get off the track."

Hemson, an Australian who moved to Wellington in 1990, has a 32-year association with league as a player, coach and referee and his employment history includes work in sales, marketing and business roles before taking the reins as WRL general manager this year.

Hemson also worked for a major sponsor of the Titans in 2007 and last year, where he struck up a relationship with Gold Coast chief executive and successful bid leader Michael Searle.

He said the NRL was open to a good business plan, which Hemson had already prepared.

"You've just basically got to prove that you've got a sustainable plan and a sustainable vision."

The next step was attracting enough financial support which would be difficult in tough times.

"We've come into it when the world financial crisis is happening but I think everyone realises we're going to come out of it, it's just a matter of how long.

"If things start to pick up with the world economy, there's going to be lots of opportunities out there for businesses looking to promote themselves and get involved in a venture like this.

"In three, four, five years time I'd imagine there will be businesses out there looking at some creative ways at backing something like this."

Hemson had also met with WCC staff, including councillor John Morrison, who were receptive to the bid plan, while games could also be shared around the country.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25320040-10389,00.html

Quote:
Central Queensland to make bid for NRL licence

CENTRAL Queensland aims to be the state's fourth NRL team, with a construction tycoon bankrolling the region's push to enter the fray in 2013.

A Central Queensland consortium has held due diligence talks and will formally announce its plans to win an NRL licence at a gala event in Rockhampton on Friday.

The CQ bid team is spearheaded by local business identity Geoff Murphy, one of Queensland's richest men with an estimated worth of $90 million.

The consortium also includes former Queensland Origin stars Jason Hetherington and Gary Larson.

NRL boss David Gallop put expansion back on the code's agenda last week in the wake of the AFL's daring move into the Gold Coast, with speculation two teams could be added for the 2013 season.

Gallop last year flagged the prospect of a fourth NRL team in Queensland establishing itself in the Ipswich-Logan corridor, while the Sunshine Coast is also an option as local league authorities plan a $15 million Stage 1 facelift of Stockland Park at Kawana.

Vote now: What should the CQ team be called?
Have an idea for a name? Let us know But Central Queensland has emerged as the first serious player in the Sunshine State's quest for a fourth NRL team.

CQ bid team representatives have held talks with Gallop. Murphy has also met with Titans managing director Michael Searle, the driving force behind the Gold Coast's successful attempt to win an NRL licence in 2005.

Bid team member Hetherington, the former Bulldogs hooker who hails from the central Queensland town of Baralaba, said the region was ripe for NRL expansion.

"It's early stages but we're very excited about the prospect of having an NRL side here and we're working very hard towards achieving it," said Hetherington, who played two Tests and eight Origin matches for the Maroons.

"I was asked to be a part of this consortium and it's a great honour. Fifteen years ago, the idea of having an NRL side up here was unbelievable. There's a lot of hard work to do, but the further we go, the more people we listen to, it's a very realistic chance.

"I'd imagine we're as good a chance as anyone up here. I know we'd get terrific support right through.

"Obviously a lot of planning still has to be done but area-wise it's massive and more importantly we'd have the business support to make this a success.

"It's the middle section of Queensland. The Cowboys have the far north covered and the southern area is covered by Brisbane and the Titans and there's just a big vacant area right through the middle.

"Geographically it's a huge area for the NRL to capitalise on."

The central Queensland team would be based at Rockhampton. Its catchment area extends north to Mackay, south to Gladstone and west to Emerald, encompassing a population of about 190,000 and junior playing numbers exceeding 5000.

The CQ bid team has investigated the prospect of a home ground at a revamped Browne Park. But the venue has little scope for major development and it is more likely a new multi-million stadium would be built on the outskirts of the city, near Central Queensland University's Rockhampton campus.

While the stadium issue is a hurdle, the CQ consortium has the fiscal muscle to provide the NRL with a $15 million to $20 million equity guarantee.

Aside from Murphy, whose company JM Kelly Group employs 400 people, the consortium includes car dealership tycoon Steve McCosker and former Emerald mayor Paul Bell, the father of ex-Manly NRL centre Steve.

The CQ consortium also has the support of Rockhampton Council, which has already committed $40,000 to the ambitious NRL bid.

Searle said the CQ contingent faced an enormous task and would have to outlay millions just to get the green light from the NRL.

"It's an expensive task. I warned them that they will burn in excess of $2 million and there is no guarantee of a reward. You have to be pretty committed," he said.

"There is lots of ground work to be done and that's before you even start lobbying governments for a stadium.

"You wouldn't want to do it twice in a lifetime I said that to them.

"Having an investor like (Murphy) who could contribute $15 or $20 million to be the custodian for the licence is a massive boost to their chances.

"There is a reasonable argument for a Central Queensland side given the strength of the mining and resource sector in the region."
Kodiaks
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: The Games on.. Reply with quote

in the Telegraph today.. Sunshine Coast and central Qld are both areas looking at bidding for the 17or 18 licence.. but both areas have said they would be quite happy to take a relocated Sydney team if it came down to it.. SC have their deal with Manly until the end of 2010....I haven't seen the Herald yet but i've heard there's a facebook site with already 3000 memebrs supporting the Central Coast Bears bid and they are looking to get 50 000.. the fight is now on once again, we wnated another bid to come in with us and now they are putting their hands up...
norths_makin11
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheh i rekcon the sharks move to south australia so it's frees up 1 club in nsw for the might bears and bring back the WA reds and papua new guinea sounds mad but it makes it more national comp. well i like it!!

phil
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norths_makin11 wrote:
heheh i rekcon the sharks move to south australia so it's frees up 1 club in nsw for the might bears and bring back the WA reds and papua new guinea sounds mad but it makes it more national comp. well i like it!!

phil

I think you can also construct an argument for the Bears being the Adelaide team. Advantages include a ready made supporter base in Sydney (something other interstate clubs lack), the Bears basing themselves at NSO in the lead up to their Sydney games (and the possibility of visits to schools and clubs in the district which would help promote RL in the area), and after match functions at NS Leagues Club. Former NS 1st grader Bruce Walker used to be General Manager of the SA Rugby League, although no longer is.

I realise I seem to be very much in the minority, but given what's happened in the past I don't think we should close ourselves to other options. We all thought we were a certainty for admission in 2007 but that didn't happen. We all think we're a certainty for admission in 2012 or 2013, but there's no guarantee. If a struggling Sydney club gets spooked by all the momentum for CC Bears, and relocates, where does that leave us if we've closed all options? If CC supports the Bears but wants to play in its colors of yellow and blue, what then? Despite the non-binding resolution at last year's AGM, the club has previously said that the CC should be able to choose the club's colours. Hopefully they'd choose red and black, but they might prefer to use their own traditional colours.
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours will be red and black, I think we should constantly focus on the CC and don't be sidetracked..Central Coast to be our main priority..Central Coaast Bears, everyone is talking about it now, just keep the momentum going...If you recall..Wellington,Ccentral Coast, and GoldCoast first looked at bidding in 2004...then the NRL come out and said we never asked for submissions for expansion..Singo pulled out after spending 1mil getting his bid together Yeah I'd be pretty p..... as well, and Orcas pulled out, that gave the Gold Coast time to get it together, so when it come around in 05, GC were already there for the 07 season... This time seems very different , I believe we have learnt from our mistakes, and last time,we didn't have DT pushing for us, and that does make a differance...
cnbhs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky ' supports ' a very average Queensland cup team now [Central Comets]. It will struggle to get the so called catchment it talks about, as Rocky just doesn't have the regional sink hold over central Queensland that an area like Mackay MAY be able to achieve. The mining money laregly goes through Mackay anyway, Rockhampton hasn't got a snowflakes chance in hell of raising a bid that would be deemed better than the CC, Brisbane II, Wellington or Perth.

The threat is a general thinking about expanding outside the 'key demographic' [aka pay tv subs outside 'league territory'], to areas like Perth at the expense of expansion to any market that could sustain a team [like Gosford].

While another SE Queensland team would also please the league, there has been no move publically by a Brisbane North-Sunny Coast entity or a SW Brisbane-Logan-Ipswich team, only Courier-Mail hype.
angrybear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only qld hope is an ipswich or logan centred SEQ franchise. the bulk of bronco support comes from south west of the city despite their inner northern base at red hill. a team from either area would kill it.

an ipswich side particularly, as it would tap an awesome nursery in the toowoomba and darling downs area - this place breathes league and keeps breeding sterling (pardon the pun, he is a toowoomba boy by birth) cattle.

rocky is a dud man talking for the reasons explained by cn.
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodiaks wrote:
The colours will be red and black, I think we should constantly focus on the CC and don't be sidetracked..Central Coast to be our main priority..Central Coaast Bears, everyone is talking about it now, just keep the momentum going...If you recall..Wellington,Ccentral Coast, and GoldCoast first looked at bidding in 2004...then the NRL come out and said we never asked for submissions for expansion..Singo pulled out after spending 1mil getting his bid together Yeah I'd be pretty p..... as well, and Orcas pulled out, that gave the Gold Coast time to get it together, so when it come around in 05, GC were already there for the 07 season... This time seems very different , I believe we have learnt from our mistakes, and last time,we didn't have DT pushing for us, and that does make a differance...

Everyone was talking about it in 2004 and 2005 as well, but it didn't happen. The club put all its eggs into the CC basket then, even turning its back on North Sydney which alienated many traditional fans. Someone had a banner at NSO in the 1990s that read something like "Go to Gosford, Go to Hell". I was one of the NS fans against the relocation, but interactions with people on this board have turned me around to a degree. Ideally I would love to see North Sydney Bears back in the NRL, but I recognise that's not going to happen. However, while I would support the CC Bears if it happens, the thing that stops being all gung-ho about the CC is the fact that NS went into administration because of the move. And in return, CC people repaid this debt by staying away in droves when we needed them to stay loyal and help sway the decision makers in the NRL. So I'm not 100% sure that the CC has earned the right to be the Bears. They might be 100% in support of a CC NRL side, but I am certainly not convinced they're 100% behind the Bears. They'll support it while it suits them. Hopefully it will be successful, but I'm not all dewy eyed about the CC itself.
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I remember the banner, but if we had of got to gosford when we did, the Bears would have still be playing in the NRL today,in '97 it was go or die..hindsights a good thing..also remember when David Hill was president he could see the writing on the wall he wanted us to relocate in '91.. he saw the huge potential of the Central Coast, and what it would bring to rugby league, and with our affiliation with the area over the years it was a natural progression for the Bears..and as someone has put it we had a Central coast Coach for most of the 90s to great success..and a number of players as well from the area who the Bears developed..the demographics were changing on the North shore.. and we had to do something to secure our long term survival. Yes to leave NSO is going to be very emotional since we have played there since 1910.. but look at the other teams now, they all play at 2,3,or even 4 different grounds..we have the luxury of being at home at Grahame Park, and that one game a year at picturesque North Sydney Oval against Manly once a year.. and I would not be surprised if its a 23000 seat sellout.
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many teams have used our stadium at gosford for their home games just for a quick buck..run in ,dash for cash then go, look at the teams over the past 6 years that have been there..they all know it's because they can make money there.. if/when the CC Bears get there, huge crowds every home games, whats the betting.How many stadiums /ovals do the tigers play at now?? Cronulla play home games in Adelaide, and other clubs have played home games over in Perth..
babybear
Bears Fan
Bears Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every time i have had the bears merchandise at gosford it has generated a hugh amount of interest with the locals every one has asked when will the bears be back in i have sold plenty of bears jumpers to people who were wearing other club jersey's they all said the would follow the bears when they got back in at gosford and don't forget when the bears played as part of the northern eagles the crowds figures were around 18, 000 they only dropped when the bears dropped out there is and will be support from the locals on the coast we just need to relocate and start building the interest up from next year the gold coast did it long before they were in start with the school kids once the kids are interested the parents will get involved
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babybear wrote:
every time i have had the bears merchandise at gosford it has generated a hugh amount of interest with the locals every one has asked when will the bears be back in i have sold plenty of bears jumpers to people who were wearing other club jersey's they all said the would follow the bears when they got back in at gosford and don't forget when the bears played as part of the northern eagles the crowds figures were around 18, 000 they only dropped when the bears dropped out there is and will be support from the locals on the coast we just need to relocate and start building the interest up from next year the gold coast did it long before they were in start with the school kids once the kids are interested the parents will get involved

It's good that the interest in the Bears is there but there are at least two credible explanations for the drop in crowds - one is that the CC people only wanted a team that was connected with the Bears. The other is that not going to the games would accelerate the demise of the Northern Eagles and it would mean that the CC would get a full time team instead of having to share one with Brookvale. I'd like to think it was the former but the CC's lack of interest in the Bears once it became apparent we couldn't deliver the prospect of an NRL team leaves a very big doubt in my mind. But if the CC is genuinely interested in the Bears now, that's great, I really hope it happens.
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defiantely the former Fintain..I can assure you..
Kodiaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRL chief executive David Gallop has said the most likely 17th team would be based in Gosford on the Central Coast and has hinted the 18th could be based in south-east Queensland.

This is the bit I like.....from the New Zealand press...
MayMoo
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/...rt-cq-nrl-bid/

NRL boss David Gallop has given Central Queensland's quest to one day play in the big league the strongest possible encouragement.

Speaking exclusively to The Morning Bulletin on the eve of the launch of the CQ bid for an NRL franchise, the chief executive gave the bid the thumbs-up and suggested it was in with a stong chance of success.

"It is great to see the enthusiasm the people in the Rockhampton community have for rugby league and the NRL," he said.

"Any region we may expand into in the future needs to have strong local community support, which has been a feature of the success of the Gold Coast Titans since they entered the competition in 2007.

"We know there are several areas that have a strong interest in forming an NRL team. The support in Queensland is something we will need to take seriously and Rockhmapton would be in the mix definitely."

His message will generate big grins today at the official launch of the campaign that has received endorsement from some of the game's most influential figures.

Bruno Cullen, the Bronco's chief executive, and his Canberra Raiders counterpart Don Furner say they welcome the ambitious plans to establish a Premiership team based in Rockhampton.

A powerful consortium of business leaders and greats of the game will be revealed to media, polititicans, rugby league personalities and potential commercial backers this morning - a first step on a path that could lead to a licence for a team to join the likes of the Broncos and Riaders in the world's premier league.

Mr Cullen said yesteday it would be a long process, but a feasible one and he wished the bid the very best.

"I would encourage CQ to take this as far as they can. They will need a big financial backer and strong commercial backing and it seems they have that in place.

"Rockhampton and Central Queensland has always been rugby league country and a new team will have a strong supporter base.

"And to be successful, the bid will need to show the NRL it has a big new stadium capable of hosting its fixtures. It will be a long process, but it's feasible."

He said he had no problem with the notion of a fourth team from Queensland in the Premiership.

Mr Furner also wished the Central Queensland bid the best of luck yesterday.

"It's a very strong rugby league area and it would be a great place to expand to if that's the decision the NRL reaches. Queensland has shown it can cope with three stongly supported teams. Good luck to the bid."

The Morning Bulleting today exclusively reveals the logo for the bid, which is being spearheaded by Rockhampton-based businessman Geoff Murphy.

According to insiders, it is his invovlvement that gives Central Queensland a shot at the big time.

The NRL is also talking to ther potential franchise locations, inluding the Papua New Guinea Government, which is desperate to raise the profile of the country through its national game.

Mike Duggan, a one-time rugby league commentator who worked for Mr Murphy for 20 years, said Geoff Murphy was very passionate about Central Queensland.

"When he gets behind something, it succeeds 99 per cent of the time. It's a dream that's possible, especially with Geoff driving it.

"I understand he's got some very capable people on that bid team. All things considered, I think they're on the way to presenting a very stong case."

It is believed that other members of the bid team include Rockhampton solicitor Stan Smith, businessman Ron Milne, Central Highlands Deputy Mayor Paul Bell and successful business leaders from Mackay and Gladstone as well as former Queensland Origin players Gary Larson and Jason Hetherington, who were both products of Central Queensland.

The team will spend the next few years attempting to convince the NRL that Rockhampton could support a successful franchise and a place in the NRL by 2013 - the year that has been publicly earmarked for the introduction of new sides as it conincudes with the renewal of televeision contracts.

Rockhampton is the first cab off the rank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: