Souths must move to Gosford or die - George Piggins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnbhs
Permanent Fixture at Bear Park

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Chesterton has spent 20 plus years as George Piggin's PR boy, if in doubt drawl George's mind for muck.........News, News Ltd style.

Castle Rupie is certainly on a role, whether it's Sydney needs less teams, canberra are off to logan or souths are hopeless version 23.4.
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nrl will have a summit to decide the long term future of the game and will look at the possible inclusion of Perth and Adelaide sides to make the competition national. They will also look at the number of clubs in Sydney.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23785438-5012431,00.html
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23786592-23214,00.html
gowiththeflo
Bear Troll
Bear Troll

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adelaide bears?
Peth bears ?

what are your thoughts, would this be a suitable alternative if we cant get in though NS or CC?
cnbhs

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we can't be the CC Bears then yes, but that will only be the case if we get gazumped/the pieces of silver are taken up by an existing Sydney club and therefore the CC is taken.

I'm sure the marketing/history and current team will make it hard for the perth team to be branded anything other than the Perth Reds, and Adelaide is not a sound market for an NRL team without a massive sub from HQ.
norths_makin11
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the NRL has brought great shame on our great game over the years! if those oppturnites doesn't come too thats the centrol coast that is,well it's very slim to be else where, perth the reds might come back, only becasue there got a team in the Jim beam cup. but for adelaide yes and no. but over all pressure is on rugby league in general. plus i put a lot of blame on that stupid super legaue gggrrr the ARL was goin to expained anyway. well the damage has done those boneheads need to fix it and low some stupid prices of things and as fans stay true, stay true to the greatest game of all.

cheers phil
girvie
Bears Forum Mod
Bears Forum Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Gallop has made some more comments about Perth and Adelaide and it appears teams in those places would be a long way off.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=202074

gowiththeflo wrote:
adelaide bears?
Peth bears ?

what are your thoughts, would this be a suitable alternative if we cant get in though NS or CC?

For me i think that i'd probably enjoy it more by continueing to watch the North Sydney Bears playing in the NSW Cup at North Sydney than watching the Adelaide Bears on tv at Hindmarsh Stadium. Watching the Bears at North Sydney Oval, even though it's not Nrl, is something i really love. I don't think i'd feel any connection with an Adelaide or Perth side.

Also i don't think Adelaide or Perth teams would be very successful, but i do think the Central Coast Bears would be successful, so i think that means i'd find it difficult to get excited about a Adelaide or Perth Bears side.
Bearhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girvie,

With you 100%.

Adelaide and Perth Bears? No way.

Its CC or we remain as we are.

There is something special about watching the Bears at Bear Park, I love the joint so much and the good times and memories will never die. But the best things is new ones are being born.

Don't know about you lot, but Verlindens try against CC for mine will go into the memory vault as a priceless Bears moment!
koala
Weekend Bear
Weekend Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think an Adelaide or Perth Bears is an option we should consider provided:
*red and black are the dominant colours
*bears are the emblem
*one home game a season is played at NSO

One factor we have to consider is that if there was an Adelaide or Perth Bears it would indicate that Rugby League was in an expansion mode with a bright future (a major national sport with consequent increased TV/sponsorship money). Without expansion into other States Rugby League is likely to contract due to increased competion from other codes which means the North Sydney Bears and the State Cup etc are likley to recede in significance and ultimately may disappear.
Ofcourse there may be an Adelaide and a Perth team come along without our involvement in which case I think things would be pretty good for Norths long term BUT my view is that Norths just might be a catalyst for expansion and if so we would have to consider it.
Bearhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is this:

If the NRL want to expand, how much more financial pressure will it place on clubs to have to travel to Perth/Adelaide?

I can only think that the NRL will compensate clubs because they themselves have opened up new markets therefore new revenue streams.......but if there isn't compensation, then it is a problem.

I beg to differ re NSW Cup etc. If any cup will go, it will be the Jim Beam cup which will consolidate the NSW Cup.

NRL teams quite simply have to have a 'reserve grade' / premier league / NSW Cup / Feeder Club arrangement. This will never go away. They will never be able to rely on simply Toyota Cup (under 20) players to fill the first grade void due to injury or rep commitments.

I think the NSW Cup will grow in strength even if Rugby League as a popular sport drops.

I personally cannot cop the Perth or Adelaide Bears as a team. it doesn't wash with me. It is hard enough to cop the CC concept but given our proximity and the fact that I would hope it would play a couple of games a year at Bear Park, I for one just wouldn't cop some failed expansion west.

Look at the Western Force: Supposedly all rosy, then they have the Firepower debacle, and crowds this year have been disappointing given the hype dying down. And that is after securing the highest paid player and some other big names too.

I think all the Adelaide / Perth thing is a News Ltd ego trip trying to take on AFL, that has flogged it so bad it isn't funny.

The league should consolidate with what they have and do something at the CC because somehow - somehow the NRL have neglected this outstanding Rugby League nursery for far too long.

This should make Bert Newton and his toupee's 20-1 show in the top three for absolute administrative sporting blunders......along with the number 1: Kicking out the Bears
Evil or Very Mad
Fintan O'Laighin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girvie wrote:
For me i think that i'd probably enjoy it more by continueing to watch the North Sydney Bears playing in the NSW Cup at North Sydney than watching the Adelaide Bears on tv at Hindmarsh Stadium. Watching the Bears at North Sydney Oval, even though it's not Nrl, is something i really love. I don't think i'd feel any connection with an Adelaide or Perth side.

Also i don't think Adelaide or Perth teams would be very successful, but i do think the Central Coast Bears would be successful, so i think that means i'd find it difficult to get excited about a Adelaide or Perth Bears side.

I know where you're coming from, I was initially very hostile to the CC Bears as I felt it wouldn't be my team. However, interaction with people on this site softened my position. But I'm still a bit non-plussed about the support from CC people. I'm not convinced that the CC has a "Bears or nothing" approach, and I imagine that there would be a lot of support for a brand new club on the CC, rather than a relocated one. While I acknowledge that there are still Bears supporters on the CC, the CC's overall level of support for the Bears seemed to disappear very quickly as soon as we were no longer able to deliver NRL games. They wanted an NRL side and in the late 1990s, the Bears provided the best chance of that. The lack of connection between NS and the CC is exacerbated by the fact that NS has not maintained contact with the CC Rugby League in the last few years, especially since the NRL ruled in favour of the Gold Coast.

I am still very bitter about NS's game at Gosford in 2004 which should have been promoted as a great "homecoming" match for the Bears and an opportunity for CC people to demonstrate their support for the Bears in the NRL. Instead, the game was bumped to an 11AM start so that The Entrance could play its Jim Beam Cup game as the immediate curtain raiser. There should have been an outcry on the CC, but there wasn't.

koala wrote:
I would think an Adelaide or Perth Bears is an option we should consider .....

I think the WARL is very keen on maintaining the Reds, but Adelaide Bears is an option we shouldn't dismiss. The chances of getting at least one game a year at NSO are higher than if it was the CC Bears which would see a lock, stock and barrel relocation to the CC. A selling point for Adelaide is that there is an existing fan base in Sydney (this would also be a selling point for the NRL as games in Sydney against many of the interstate teams don't attract visiting fans). It could also mean the continuation of the NS Bears in the NSW Cup under a feeder club arrangement similar to our arrangement with Souths. Adelaide Bears could use NS Oval as its base in Sydney, and the Leagues Club could be brought on-side (including as a financial backer) with use of the club facilities (gym, pool etc) and also as a venue for post-match functions involving the team.

Other selling points for Adelaide is that Tim Pickup was the CEO of Adelaide Rams, and Bruce Walker is the current General Manager of the South Australian Rugby League.

Bearhead wrote:
I beg to differ re NSW Cup etc. If any cup will go, it will be the Jim Beam cup which will consolidate the NSW Cup.

NRL teams quite simply have to have a 'reserve grade' / premier league / NSW Cup / Feeder Club arrangement. This will never go away. They will never be able to rely on simply Toyota Cup (under 20) players to fill the first grade void due to injury or rep commitments.

The AFL has had feeder club arrangements for a while, with only Geelong and Sydney fielding reserve grade sides (Geelong in the VFL and Sydney in the ACT comp). However, there is some concern about the disparity in playing standards between the AFL and the VFL, and there are discussions in the AFL press about re-establishing the AFL reserve grade. This year Collingwood ended its arrangement with Williamstown and re-entered its own side in the VFL.

On a related point, the fact that St George Illawarra doesn't have a team in the NSW Cup is woeful - it was a disgrace that Wendell Sailor was playing in the third tier competition, fourth tier if you count the Qld Cup. More people probably know about the Shellharbour Marlins than they do about most of the NSW Cup teams. Canberra doesn't have a NSW Cup team either, but at least its surplus players go to the Qld Cup.
Jeffles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When deciding to admit an interstate team, travel expenses don't matter as much to NRL clubs when factoring in expansion.

A trip to Adelaide or Perth would cost $120k max. A NRL club's budget is already in excess of $12m so we're only talking an extra 1% in expenditure without accounting for increased opportunities with TV money and sponsorship exposure.
norths_makin11
Full Time Bear
Full Time Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRL has no idea their lost the plot!
Bearhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffles wrote:
When deciding to admit an interstate team, travel expenses don't matter as much to NRL clubs when factoring in expansion.

A trip to Adelaide or Perth would cost $120k max. A NRL club's budget is already in excess of $12m so we're only talking an extra 1% in expenditure without accounting for increased opportunities with TV money and sponsorship exposure.

With clubs screaming financial pain, that money still has to be found.

I am sure they will recoup it you would think through TV exposure, but i am not so sure the RL TV rights have the potency they once did. Lets say there is blanket saturation now, and it is getting to the point of overkill.

Anyway, the NRL can rot in hell.

I would like them to bring in both Perth and Adelaide and see them flop (Again).
Jeffles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearhead wrote:
With clubs screaming financial pain, that money still has to be found.

I am sure they will recoup it you would think through TV exposure, but i am not so sure the RL TV rights have the potency they once did. Lets say there is blanket saturation now, and it is getting to the point of overkill.

Expansion would only happen with an increase in TV rights because NRL clubs would not vote to cut their own throats. So if there was an expansion, that money would be there as a condition of the expansion being accepted. Moot point.
MayMoo
Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like Adelaide Bears. You could still watch the bears in NSW cup at NS Oval and the next generation of Bears fans (including my kids) would have a team in the NRL. You could watch them many weeks in Sydney during the season.

I still believe a better option is either approching either the Gold Coast or Melbourne to rebrand as the Bears. There are many benefits but the big one is funding and we should talk to the Leagues club initially to test the waters re support.

Geez,., we have a leagues club on the Gold Coast, it would be a great tie in.

It stinks to high heaven (as it has since Super League started) that we are not on the Central Coast but whilst NEWS are in control we are zero chance. And when are they pulling out - No time soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mighty Bears Forum Index :: General Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: